Position Title Buyer
Department Supply Chain
Accountable to Supply Chain Manager
Obtain materials and services from suppliers at the lowest cost based on quality and reliability in a lean manufacturing environment.
Major Functional Areas Accountability
- Learn and understand Pexco Aerospace, Inc.’s Production and Purchasing Processes and support other Buyers as needed
- Learn, understand, and demonstrate competency in the IFS Enterprise Resource Planning system, general demand and reporting analysis as well as querying data.
- Analyze opportunities in increasing inventory turns and maximizing production runs as well as recommend proper stocking levels using data provided in IFS and by consulting with the Supply Chain Manager as needed.
- Periodically review purchasing programs and identify possible purchased part consolidation opportunities.
- Using Demand and Material Requirements Planning (MRP), place purchase orders as needed to support production.
- Coordinate and track the timely arrival of all materials needed to manufacture customer orders.
- Collect, compile and review supplier metric data such as “On Time In Full (OTIF)” and “Quality Acceptance Percentage (Quality)”.
- Analyze purchase requests to determine most favorable price considering such factors as quantity, delivery time and inventory.
- Maintain consistent supplier contact with emphasis on results oriented relationships.
- Assist in sourcing new suppliers focusing on price, lead time, and quality standards as the primary selection criteria.
- Solicit supplier quotations and evaluate bids for all departments.
- Leveraging supplier relationships, manage purchased part lead times and follow-up as necessary to expedite overdue orders or those evidencing possible critical delays to production. Minimize lead-times whenever possible to support the customer’s needs.
- Review areas in which prices can be re-negotiated; Negotiate with current sources to secure the most advantageous terms, highest quality, best delivery, and lowest price.
- Inform the Supply Chain Manager of all issues that may require immediate action or attention at that level of the organization
- Evaluate and maintain records of performance of approved vendors utilizing OTIF and Quality data. Create vendor scorecards and communicate the scorecard results with suppliers on the Approved Supplier List.
- Provide general clerical duties for the Purchasing department and prepare reports and maintain records of buying functions as needed.
- Should possess solid organizational skills.
- Should have beginning to intermediate MS Excel skills
- Should possess the ability to work in a team setting and positively interact across departments
- Should possess good mathematical, analytical, and research skills necessary for success on various projects
- Should have good working knowledge of various computer programs with a desire to learn new applications as the needs arise
- Demonstrate willingness to support various purchasing functions in addition to other duties throughout the supply chain as needed
- Create purchase orders and submit for approval
- Demonstrate ability to source and develop relationships with various manufacturers, suppliers, brokers and distributors to support both direct and indirect purchasing needs throughout the supply chain
- Demonstrate the ability to monitor supplier performance (OTIF and Quality) and communicate their status, via scorecards, on a quarterly basis
- Provide recommendations on aged inventory and report on overall turnover rates
- Manage communications with suppliers regarding the corrective actions and escalation processes as needed
- Demonstrate company values and code of conduct as a team-player in a support role, with even tempered, friendly disposition and a positive can-do attitude.
Qualifications and Expectations:
- (Minimum) - High school diploma or equivalent required
- (Preferred) - Four-year degree in Supply Chain Management or Business and/or additional schooling preferred particularly APICS
- (Minimum) Requirement - Recent experience in purchasing or customer service or other administrative positions.
- (Preferred) 3+ years work experience in purchasing
- Good verbal and written communication skills, in English. Demonstrably clear and concise communication skills both verbally and in writing with internal customers, suppliers, and peers.
- Detail oriented with a priority of accuracy.
- Good organization skills with a proactive attitude.
- Skilled in Excel, Outlook and Word.
- Ability to learn and utilize MRP and ERP systems.
- Willingness and ability to adapt to changing duties and requirements for the wide variety of customer requirements encountered and business / organizational structures and methodologies.
- Completion of required training elements and demonstrated competency in the areas of accountability listed above in this job description.
- Demonstrates compliance with all Safety Protocols and Practices.
- Maintain a neat and orderly work area.
- Report to work on time and be at work on a regular basis, as scheduled.
- On an occasional basis, must be able to put in overtime (paid) possibly on short notice.
- Minimum of 50 WPM keyboarding (typing) skills preferred
- May be required to lift boxes of product weighing up to 20 pounds
- Regularly required to sit, stand and walk about the facility
- Occasionally required to bend and stoop
- Works in both an office environment and occasionally out on the manufacturing floor
- Occasionally exposed to dust, odors, fumes and noise